Manship house MUSEUM
A wonderful example of Victorian Architecture, now restored to its original glory.
Built in 1857 by the Manship family, time and Yazoo Clay had caused a 13" rise in the foundation, which had resulted in huge cracks in plaster walls and gaps at all the windows and doors. For the renovation, J.A. Moss carefully raised entire house, leveled it with hydraulic jacks, poured new foundation, installed a drainage system to help eliminate further Yazoo Clay problems, then gently lowered the house back into position.
A new cedar shake shingle roof was put in place, all painstakingly sawed and hammered by hand to match the historical records, as well as a new and soffit (cornice). A new HVAC system was installed and the chimney was repaired.
The home’s intricate wrought iron work was carefully removed, each piece inventoried, stripped of 12 coats of paint, then meticulously repainted to match the original color and reinstalled.
After being acquired by the state in 1975, the Manship House currently operates under the Mississippi Department of Archives and History as a museum to illustrate Mississippi life in the 19th century.